Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Build my gallows high, baby."

The time it took to watch Out of the Past, Kiss Me Deadly and Chinatown, I actually grew an appreciation for something I probably would have never seen on my own. Film noir truely had
characteristics that without them, wouldn't be real noirs. The detective who usually has a dark past, a femme fetale, dark streets, and venetian blinds all play huge roles in noirs.
Even though I enjoyed all three films, I would have to say Chinatown was my favorite whereas Kiss Me Deadly was my least favorite.
Watching Chinatown last gave me a different perspective on an original film noir. One reason was that it was in color. It gave a different contrast between shadows and darkness compared to black and white films. Also I really liked the dark humor in this film. Jack Nicholson plays the role of private investigator Jake Gittes. He is plunged into a spiral of murder and darkness and he manages to escape from it all but only having the memories haunt him.
Kiss Me Deadly is a film that I don't really want to see again. Yes all three of these noirs are movies, but the other two films were actually believably. In Kiss Me Deadly there were a lot of parts that I really didn't understand or believe. Also the dialouge seemed slow and corny. So unfortunately Kiss Me Deadly really didn't do it for me!

2 comments:

Sojourner For A Time said...

Yes, I would have to say "Kiss Me Deadly" wasn't my favorite either. It would move slowly and my mind wandered and when I was focused, I had no idea what was going on.

Taylor W. said...

hello there. well i agree on the fact that kiss me deadly was the least of the favorites. The other two movies were much more realisic than Kiss Me Deadly mainly because the end of the movie was just really weird. I didnt really follow the story line at all so i agree with you! yay